Ahh, March 1st. The day represents countless things to us. It is the beginning of the month, and a reminder that spring is just around the corner. It is also National Pig Day, a day dedicated to our favorite (mostly) pink animal. Three squeals for this little piggy!
Also called "hogs" or "swine", these truly intelligent mammals can be found across the world in a wide variety of breeds and sizes. Most familiar to us is the Domestic Pig, that we can find at our local farm. What exactly do we know about pigs, other than the fact that they are adorable omnivores who enjoy rolling in mud? We're here to help you out!
Fun Pig Facts
- Contrary to popular belief, pigs are not dirty!
- The pig's habit of rolling mud serves to help cool them off
- Male pigs are called boars; female pigs are called sows
- Pigs eat EVERYTHING! That includes leaves, rodents, fruit, and even small reptiles
- Being part of the Chinese Zodiac, the pig represents fortune and happiness
- Due to their very strong sense of smell, some pigs are used to hunt for truffles
- Pigs are very close to humans genetically
- While pigs have a very large field of vision, they unfortunately can't look up
- Pigs are good swimmers!
(source: kids.nationalgeographic.com, raiseyourbrain.com)